In 1999, the Stage Race, Everest Challenge Marathon, and Bike Rally events were combined into an 8 day itinerary. Few other trips in the world are open to runners, bike riders, and walkers without any restrictions for age or ability. Over 100 journalists have covered the events since 1991, including feature articles in Runners World (USA, UK, Holland, South Africa, and Germany), Running Times USA, Ultrarunning USA, Australian Runner, City Runner Japan, Athletics Weekly, UK, Women’s Health Magazine, South Africa, Trail Magazine, Spain, and related conservation oriented stories in LA Times USA, Outside Magazine USA and sports magazines in Japan, France, Italy, Czech Republic, Canada, Hongkong, UK, Ireland, Austria etc. This Race has also been highlighted by www.sleepmonsters.co.uk. These trips are the first to be called Eco Sports Events. The Mt. Everest Challenge Marathon has been called the “World’s Most Beautiful Marathon” by the world’s largest running publication, Runners World UK March 96.
Attractive features for corporate sponsorship are:
1. Both running events are well established internationally,
2. Race organization is based in India with full time staff and agents located worldwide
3. Costs of organization and agent commission are covered by entry fees
4. Internet website http://www.himalayan.com
5. Scenery, race organization, and past participant satisfaction meets very high standards
6. The only annual running events in India creating promotional opportunities to reach the Indian middle class (250 million) as part of 900 million.
7. Other important points: Mt Everest is seen, only 100 mile race in Asia, more than 20 years performance, 60 page pre-departure information booklet, support from Govt. of India Tourist Office (17 worldwide).
Financial contributions and direct event promotion are needed. Preferably the same company will sponsor the Stage Race and Marathon races. Sponsorship title for HSR/ECM events would depend on how the money would be used. For example, if participant numbers were to be increased for separate dates on the Marathon trip up to 100, it would cost less than to increase numbers on the Stage Race due to lodging and logistical problems for five daily stages back to back. A promotional plan would be necessary to allocate sponsorship money in the most effective manner without altering the course and established procedures necessary to operate the events in a relatively remote location.
Himalayan Run & Trek Pvt. Ltd, Delhi, India owns rights to event names and information about the Himalayan 100 Mile Stage Race, Mt. Everest Challenge Marathon, and Mt. Everest Bike Rally. Agents worldwide provide information and process bookings for persons who wish to contract with the Indian Tour Operator and participate in the events. The Indian Tour Operator has a full time staff with experience in the organization of these events since 1991. Upon arrival of participants in India, it is the responsibility of the Indian Tour Operator to provide pre-paid services according to Booking Conditions and as outlined in the Pre-Departure Information booklet. It is not anticipated that any sponsor would alter the booking process, agency structure, and / or organization in India without written permission from Himalayan Run & Trek Pvt. Ltd., Delhi (INDIA).